Announcements allow instructors to communicate with students about course activities and post interesting course-related topics. Announcements are designed to allow instructors to broadcast information out to all members of a course or to all members of sections within a course. Students may be able to reply to announcements, but replies are not considered to be a conversation and do not appear in the Inbox.
Use Announcements to:
- Remind your students what they need to accomplish to stay on track.
- Point students to internal and external resources that will help them achieve course Outcomes.
- Leave a message for the entire class with video or audio comments.
- Celebrate student success and important events that may be of interest to your students.
- Feed a custom RSS feed related to the topic of the course to your students.
- Automatically share blog posts written by your students on WordPress, Blogger, etc. with custom RSS feeds.
As soon as you have created an announcement, Canvas takes care of notifying students according to their preferred notification settings.
- How do I use the Announcements Index Page?
- How do I view and sort announcement replies as an instructor?
- How do I add an announcement in a course?
- How do I attach a file to an announcement in a course?
- How do I edit an announcement in a course?
- How do I delete an announcement in a course?
- How do I add an external RSS feed to an announcement as an instructor?
- How do I subscribe to the Announcements RSS feed as an instructor?
- How do I delay posting an announcement until a specific date in a course?
- How do I allow or disallow announcement replies in a course?
- How do I reply to an announcement as an instructor?
- How do I allow students to like replies in a course announcement?
- How do I like a reply in a course announcement as an instructor?
- How do I copy an announcement to another course?
- How do I send an announcement to another instructor?
View All Canvas Guides