Canvas Provisioning Process
Canvas provisioning handles the daily creation and management of courses, sections, users, and enrollments in Canvas. This process is handled in 4 separate jobs every morning (7 days a week).
The time schedule below represents when the upload begins, processing times will vary depending on Canvas and how many active terms are running.
- 6:00AM ET – Upload Demographic Base Sites Students
- 7:35AM ET – Upload Courses and Sections
- 8:00AM ET – Canvas NetID Activation
- 8:30AM ET – Upload Enroll Instructors
- 9:00AM ET – Upload Enroll Students (including Mirror Sites)**
** RBHS have multiple terms running at the same time. The Upload Enroll Student uploads a separate file for each term code. It may take up to one hour for this job finished updating in Canvas.
Upload Courses and Sections
The Upload Courses and Sections job extracts active offerings from the Rutgers course scheduling systems and creates a single Canvas course site with one section for each RegIndex/CRN.
- This job only adds new Canvas sites. This job does not delete Canvas sites if a class is canceled or changed inside the course scheduling system.
- If a school changes the section number or regIndex/CRN, a separate course and section will be created. The inactive course and section will remain in Canvas.
- Only the OIT Administrators and Canvas help desk have the permissions to delete courses and sections.
Canvas NetID Activation
The Canvas NetID Activation job extracts newly activated or recently updated NetIDs at Rutgers and creates the user account in Canvas. User accounts are set up for active Students, Faculty, Staff, and Guests. Most of NetID’s will added to Canvas within 24 hours after activation. Additional information can be found on the Rutgers NetID website.
If you are unable to use your NetID to log into Canvas after 48 hours, please contact the Canvas help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upload Enroll Instructor
The Upload Enroll Instructor job extracts assigned Instructor’s NetIDs from SRDB – Future Course Offering (FCO) / BANNER – Meeting times and Instructor. The assigned Instructor NetID will be added with the “teacher” course role inside the Canvas section.
- Departmental administrators or course editors with access to edit CourseAtlas or BANNER can add an Instructor for Canvas. Once a change inside the course scheduling system is made, the assigned NetID will be added to the Canvas site the next day.
- If any instructor assigned to a section is removed at a later date, Canvas will drop the instructor from the Canvas site. If the instructor has already started editing the course site, they will need to contact the help desk or Canvas admin to regain access.
Important: This job relies on Canvas to perform the diffing for instructor enrollments. This means Rutgers sends a file to Canvas listing who currently assigned as an instructor. Any change in the file from the previous file submitted will result in Canvas adding or deleting that instructor enrollment record.
Upload Enroll Student
The Upload Enroll Student job extracts the rosters from REGIS and BANNER. Students on the roster will be added with the “student” course role inside the Canvas section.
- The data source for student enrollments is updated once in the early morning. Any new registrations after this refresh period will not show up until the next day. Students should expect to see their registered courses listed on their Canvas account within 24 hours** of registration.
** Majority of rosters in Canvas will update within the 24 hour timeframe. However student that registers for a course between 1:00AM – 7:00AM ET will be delayed until the following day.
Important: This job relies on Canvas to perform the diffing for student enrollments. This means Rutgers sends a file to Canvas listing who currently on the RegIndex or CRN roster. Any change in the file from the previous file submitted will result in Canvas adding or deleting that student enrollment record.
Frequently Asked Questions