This announcement is intended for Rutgers Camden, Newark, and New Brunswick. The message below does not apply to students at Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences.
Monday, November 23rd, 2020
The Office of Information Technology will be rolling out the next phase in the Transition to Canvas. Starting on Monday, November 23, 2020, all course offerings, instructor assignments, and student enrollments will be provisioned into the Canvas Learning Management System.
- One Canvas course site will be created each active reg index number.
- Student rosters in Canvas will be synced with the student information system each morning.
- Instructor assignments from the course scheduling system will be added to the Canvas site.
Course offerings were required to be coded for Canvas in the Course Scheduling System in order to be auto-created in Canvas. Courses that were not coded for Canvas were set up by the request of the faculty or instructional designers.
Starting Spring 2021, all active sections will be created in Canvas and all student rosters and instructor assignments will be updated each morning. Any unused sites will remain in an unpublished state. Specific details about Canvas Provisioning can be found on Course and Enrollment Provisioning.
Instructors may continue to use Sakai or Blackboard for the Spring 2021 term. Instructors are not required to use Canvas until instructed by their department or upon completion of LMS migration activities.
- Course sites, instructor assignments, and student rosters get update in Canvas every morning. Any changes made in the Course Scheduling or Student Information Systems during business hours will be updated in Canvas the next day.
- When a section number or reg index is changed by the department after November 23rd, a duplicate site may be created. If you see a duplicate site, please notify the help desk to remove the inactive site.
- If you are teaching a Spring 2021 course and do not receive access to the Canvas site, please make sure your department has you listed as under the Instructor Assignment. Additionally, sub-account admins can add instructors to their course sites. More information about getting access to the Live Canvas Sites can be found here.