Course and Enrollment Provisioning
Canvas Provisioning is the integration between Canvas LMS and Rutgers Course Scheduling and Student Information Systems. The current supported systems are REGIS and BANNER.
The Canvas Provisioning services are developed and maintained by the Office of Information Technology (OIT) – Enterprise Application Services.
Canvas Provisioning Process
Canvas provisioning handles the daily creation and management of courses, sections, users, and enrollments in Canvas. This process is handled in separate jobs every morning (7 days a week).
The time schedule below represents when the upload begins, processing times will vary depending on Canvas and how many active terms are running.
- 6:00AM ET – Update Demographic Base Sites Students
- 7:35AM ET – Update Courses and Sections
- 8:00AM ET – Canvas NetID Activation
- 8:30AM ET – Update Instructors and Course Coordinators Assignments
- 9:00AM ET – Update Students Enrollments (including Mirror Sites)**
** RBHS have multiple terms running at the same time. It may take up to one hour for this update to finish in Canvas.
Courses and Sections
The Courses and Sections job extracts active offerings from the Rutgers course scheduling systems and creates a single Canvas course site with one section for each RegIndex/CRN.
- This job only adds new Canvas sites. This job does not delete Canvas sites if a class is canceled or changed inside the course scheduling system.
- If a school changes the section number or regIndex/CRN, a separate course and section will be created. The inactive course and section will remain in Canvas.
- Only the OIT Administrators and Canvas help desk have the permissions to delete courses and sections.
Canvas NetID Activation
The Canvas NetID Activation job extracts newly activated or recently updated NetIDs at Rutgers and creates the user account in Canvas. User accounts are set up for active Students, Faculty, Staff, and Guests. Most of NetID’s will added to Canvas within 24 hours after activation. Additional information can be found on the Rutgers NetID website.
If you are unable to use your NetID to log into Canvas after 48 hours, please contact the Canvas help desk at email@example.com.
Instructor and Course Coordinator Assignments
The Enroll Instructor and CC job extracts assigned Instructor’s NetIDs from SRDB – Future Course Offering (FCO) / BANNER – Meeting times and Instructor. The assigned Instructor NetID will be added with the “teacher” course role inside the Canvas section.
- Departmental administrators or course editors with access to edit CourseAtlas or BANNER can add an Instructor for Canvas. Once a change inside the course scheduling system is made, the assigned NetID will be added to the Canvas site the next day.
- If any instructor assigned to a section is removed at a later date, Canvas will drop the instructor from the Canvas site. If the instructor has already started editing the course site, they will need to contact the help desk or Canvas admin to regain access.
Important: This job relies on Canvas to perform the diffing for instructor enrollments. This means Rutgers sends a file to Canvas listing who currently assigned as an instructor. Any change in the file from the previous file submitted will result in Canvas adding or deleting that instructor enrollment record.
The Enroll Student job extracts the rosters from REGIS and BANNER. Students on the roster will be added with the “student” course role inside the Canvas section.
- The data source for student enrollments is updated once in the early morning. Any new registrations after this refresh period will not show up until the next day. Students should expect to see their registered courses listed on their Canvas account within 24 hours** of registration.
** Majority of rosters in Canvas will update within the 24 hour timeframe. However student that registers for a course between 1:00AM – 7:00AM ET will be delayed until the following day.
Important: This job relies on Canvas to perform the diffing for student enrollments. This means Rutgers sends a file to Canvas listing who currently on the RegIndex or CRN roster. Any change in the file from the previous file submitted will result in Canvas adding or deleting that student enrollment record.
Frequently Asked Questions
Canvas administrators will only delete course sites that have been canceled by the department or scheduling office. By default, Canvas live course sites are set up unpublished and not accessible to students.
As best practice, we recommend all instructors to reach out to their students as early as possible and provide them a welcome email with instructions on how to access their course.
Names listed on the schedule of classes are for display only. There is a separate field in the Rutgers Course Scheduling System and BANNER which Canvas uses to add Teachers to Canvas sites.
Please make sure your NetID or A# is assigned as the instructor inside these systems. Additional information can be found on the Live Course Site page.
First thing to do is make sure the course site you are viewing is a live course site.
- The course should be associated with a Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall term label listed on the top left; above the course navigation menu.
- If there are no students in the course at all, then it is possible changes were made in the course scheduling system and this site is no longer active.
During add/drop periods, it may take over 24 hours for students to appear on your Canvas roster. This will depend on the time they register.
If your Canvas roster remains inaccurate for more than 48 hours, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your Canvas site URL.
All faculty assignment and student enrollments processed by Canvas Provisioning cannot be edited by the teacher. If a student has dropped a course, Canvas will remove the student within 24 hours of the change.
Note: Instructors can still add other people into their course as a student, teacher, or TA. Canvas will allow the instructors to remove these users they have manually added.