As previously announced, Instructure will enforce features that were previously optional. This enforcement will affect the workflow for instructors. Prior to course launch for Spring 2020, instructors should review the following resources to become familiarized with the New Gradebook. All Fall and Winter courses were updated on November 26, 2019 to use the New Gradebook. If your Canvas course site was not updated, please enable the New Gradebook through the feature options in course settings.
Set up automated workflows before the start of the semester
For instructors who muted assignment grades in the old Gradebook, you will need to set post policies for the course or assignments to prevent grade release and notification. Typically, instructors who have previously muted assignments will want to set the course post policy to manual so that all grades are hidden to students until you make them visible. If there are a few assignments with automated grading, then the post policy for the assignments may be set to automatic.
- How do I use posting policies in a course?
- How do I select a grade posting policy for a course in the New Gradebook?
- How do I select a grade posting policy for an assignment in the New Gradebook?
- How do I apply a Missing Submission policy in the New Gradebook?
- How do I apply a Late Submission policy in the New Gradebook?
Canvas Community Resources
- New Gradebook Resources: an annotated list of resources within the Canvas Community
- Canvas Release: New Gradebook
- Canvas Guides for New Gradebook
- How do I use the New Gradebook?
- Gradebook and New Gradebook Comparison Document
- How do I get to SpeedGrader from the New Gradebook?
As previously announced, Instructure will enforce the New Course Analytics for all courses on March 21, 2020. This enforcement will occur during the middle of the Spring 2020 semester. Instructors can expect user-interface changes and feature enhancements as described in the Canvas Release: Analytics Beta (Course Grade). Instructors may enable the New Course Analytics anytime through the feature options in course settings.