Respondus offers two products both of which aid in creating and managing your assessments. Respondus 4.0 is a tool that allows you to author and manage your assessments, while the Lockdown Browser is a custom browser that allows you literally lock down the online testing environment within the learning management system, preventing students from moving away from the testing browser to another browser or application on their machine.
For MS-Windows only. Not available for Macs.
Respondus 4.0 is an assessment authoring tool that also allows you to easily manage your assessments and import them into the LMS of your choice. These assessments however can also be printed out as well as used in an online format.
More information on Respondus:
- Respondus Video Tutorials
- Respondus 4.0 System Requirements
- Search for possible test banks available through different publishers/textbooks with the Test Bank Network
You may download Respondus 4.0 from the Respondus website. For the activation code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be enrolled in a Canvas course with the activation code that is updated yearly.
Available for MS-Windows and Mac computers. Download required.
Respondus Lockdown Browser prohibits the tester’s ability to navigate away from the testing environment or to open any other windows or applications during testing. Many instructors find this very helpful in maintaining online assessment integrity. While in the Lockdown Browser, testers view the assessment full screen and cannot minimize the window. The assessment also cannot be closed out until it is submitted for grading. Print, Print Screen, and screen capture functions do not work while the assessment is open and testers are unable to copy and paste anything to/from the assessment.
Some features of LockDown Browser are:
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Assessments cannot be exited until submitted by users for grading
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented
- Printing functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to and from an assessment is prohibited
- Right-click menu options are disabled (Windows); key + click options are disabled (Mac)
- URLs cannot be typed by the user while links in questions that point to other servers don’t compromise the “locked” testing environment
- Hundreds of screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing and network monitoring applications are blocked from running
- The browser automatically starts at Rutgers’s login page for Canvas
- And many other features…
Instructors should note that this tool does not restrict students from using other internet-enabled devices (tablets, smartphones, etc.) to search the web or Canvas site. Students should have administrator rights to install, update and run applications on their computer.
For more information and a complete list of features you can visit the Respondus Lockdown Browser page for more information.
Additional Resources for LockDown Browser:
- Respondus Knowledgebase
- Student Quick Start Guide for Canvas by Respondus
- Student demo video
- Lockdown Browser overview for Students
- Lockdown Browser webinars for Instructors
- Instructor Resources for Lockdown Browser
- Lockdown Browser QuickStart Guide for Instructors