This page will explain how to export Moodle Course Content and import into Canvas.
Depending on the complexity of your course content structure, you may have to do some content reorganization. This is a good opportunity to re-evaluate your course structure.
If you need further assistance, please contact the Office of Instructional Design and schedule a consultation.
Export Moodle Course Content
- Log into Moodle with your NetID and password.
- Go to your Moodle course and click the gear icon to select “Backup” from the drop-down menu.
- In Backup settings, uncheck “include enrolled users” and any other items you do not wish to include in the file like, calendar events, groups and groupings, or competencies.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Uncheck the items from weeks/sections you do not wish to include in the file and click “Next.”
- Change the file name to something easier to recognize or remember.
- Review the list of all the items that will be included in the backup file. Then click on “Perform backup” button.
- A loading bar will popup on screen and click on the “Continue” button.
- Scroll down to the User Private Backup Area to find your new backup file and click on the download link.
Import Course Content Into Canvas
- Log into Canvas with your NetID and password.
- Go to your Sandbox Site. (Request a Sandbox Here)
- Click on “Settings” from the course sidebar.
- In the right sidebar, click on “Import Course Content.”
- In “Content type,” select “Moodle 1.9/2.x” from the drop-down list.
- Click on the “Choose file button” for the source and select the Moodle course backup file.
- Content: Choose “All content.”
- Click on “Import” button.
- You’ll see the file appear under current jobs. if there is an issue with your backup an issues link will appear next to the file completion status.
You have just imported your Moodle course content to your Canvas Sandbox Course Site. Now, you can edit and organize your Canvas course. When you are ready to teach, make sure you have a Live Course Site for the upcoming term.