A non-Rutgers student, staff or faculty who does not have an official Rutgers NetID needs to have a Canvas guest account created. Guest account creations can be requested by a faculty member, staff, sub-account administrator, or program coordinator. If requested for users to be added to a site(s), please indicate the site by listing the exact name of the course, course code, or course URL.
To facilitate user account creation, please use this spreadsheet template:
Fill out the following highlighted fields in the spreadsheet:
- User_ID: User(s) email address in all lower case.
- Integration_ID: Please leave blank.
- Authentication_Provider_ID: canvas will be listed by default. This is case sensitive and must be lower case.
- First_Name: List user(s) full first name.
- Last_Name: List user(s) full last name.
- Status: Active will be listed by default.
When filling in the User_ID, it will automatically generate for the following fields: Login_ID, and Email.
Before sending the spreadsheet to the Canvas Help Desk, please:
- Do not modify headers (Row 1). Any deviation of the spreadsheet will cause the creation to fail and the file will be sent back for revisions.
- Remove the sample student row before inputting user data.
- Remove capitalized letters in the users’ email addresses.
- Save the file as a .csv (Comma Separated Values).
- Ensure there are no extra (leading or trailing) spaces in the each cell.
- For all users added, copy the formula or fill down the formula in the adjacent cells to complete the spreadsheet. (See copying formula video tutorial.)
- Check if students have Active NetID(s) within Canvas. This is to prevent confusion for your user(s). If the user has provided a Rutgers email address, then they have a Rutgers NetID and you can add the user to the course with their NetID.
If any questions and concerns, please contact email@example.com.