This document outlines the steps for instructors who would like to increase quiz or exam integrity by requiring LockDown Browser and integrated Monitor for your students to complete your Canvas Quiz.
LockDown Browser is an application that must be downloaded. If your student has difficulties, you may need to make alternate accommodations. Providing a practice quiz prior to your assessment will facilitate identifying technical issues. This tool does not restrict students from using other internet-enabled devices (tablets, smartphones, etc.) to search the web or Canvas site.
Supplemental material is provided in Rutgers Canvas Commons (search Respondus Set-up).
Respondus LockDown Browser is only used in conjunction with Canvas Quizzes. It cannot be used with Canvas Assignments but both Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes support File Upload questions.
- How do I create a File Upload quiz question in Classic Quizzes?
- How do I create a File Upload assessment question using New Quizzes?
Chromebook Extension affects Exam delivery
Respondus released LockDown Browser Extension for use with Chromebooks. While many of the security features are present, some features and behaviors are not available for students using Chromebooks. Known issues and limitations with the Chromebook Extension should inform your exam questions because these limitations may affect your student’s ability to complete your exam. These issues and limitations are:
- Quiz passwords (specified via the “optional password” field in the LockDown Browser Dashboard) aren’t currently supported for exams that use only LockDown Browser. For exams requiring Respondus Monitor, the optional password field is supported.
- LockDown Browser’s Calculator and Spreadsheet features aren’t currently supported.
- The extended keyboard functions (for adding symbols and special characters) isn’t currently available.
- LockDown Browser’s “Help Center” is currently unavailable, and there is no Live Chat support for students taking exams that require Respondus Monitor.
- “Allow access to specific external web domains” option is currently not supported.
- “Google Chrome OS can’t open this page” error will occur. Click the “close” button on the error, and you should be able to proceed.
- Exam feedback for “classic” quizzes is not compatible yet, if viewed at a later time. Feedback is viewable if seen in the same LockDown Browser session that the exam was taken in.
How to Enable LockDown Browser
- Access your Canvas course from the course dashboard or the Courses menu.
- Click LockDown Browser in your course navigation. If this is the first time you are accessing LockDown browser, you will be asked to Authorize the application.
- Review Video Tutorials, Getting Started, and Resources.
- Click Continue to LockDown Browser.
- For the relevant Canvas quiz, click the drop-down menu next to the assessment name.
- Click Settings.
- Select the radio button to Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam. This radio button must be selected in order to turn on the LockDown Browser thus preventing students from being able to copy and paste, print, take screenshots, access other programs, etc. LockDown Browser is required to use Monitor – you cannot use the Monitor feature without also using the LockDown Browser option.
- Require LockDown Browser to view feedback and results is already selected. You may opt to uncheck this box. It is recommended that you leave this option checked as it requires that students use the LockDown Browser in order to review the exam. This will continue to protect the integrity of the exam by not allowing students to easily copy or share the exam after the fact. The kind of feedback that the students can view (student responses, correct/incorrect, correct answer, etc.) is controlled in your exam settings.
- The Access Code is left blank and is not required. If you already set a password in your exam settings this is where you would re-enter it in Respondus. If you were to review your exam settings after enabling Respondus, you will see a random alphanumeric password indicated. Please do not edit that as that password protects the exam from being accessed without the LockDown Browser. Please see additional details on identifying the password if you have a student who needs to bypass the LockDown Browser requirement due to technical or accessibility issues.
- Click to expand Advanced Settings menu.
- By default, the option to Lock students into the browser until exam is completed is unchecked. Typically, this box would only be checked when LockDown Browser is used to proctor in-person exams. Checking this box can cause issues if, for example, the student’s internet connection is interrupted. They will remain locked in the browser until they forcibly restart their computer.
- Review the additional Advanced Settings options.
- Allow students to take this exam with an iPad (using the “LockDown Browser” app from the Apple App Store). The software supports the use of an iPad but a computer is recommended for the best test taking experience. All of the security features will still work on the iPad.
- Allow access to specific external web domains can be used if, as part of the exam, the instructor has site(s) that they permit the students to access. This can be used to allow access to e-books or other approved online resources. For publisher materials, please test with a true student account (not just Student View)
- Enable Calculator on the toolbar should be used if a calculator is allowed or required during the exam. The students will not be able to start the calculator software included with their system and use of an external calculator will be flagged when the student looks away from the screen.
- Enable printing from the toolbar can be enabled but it’s recommended because the exam can be printed and easily distributed.
If you are not requiring Respondus Monitor, click Save + Close.
How to Enable Respondus Monitor
- Select the radio button to Require Respondus Monitor for this exam if you would like this to be a video proctored exam.
- In Startup Sequence, all options are enabled. Keep in mind that, while the completion of these tasks does not count against the exam timer, they still take time to perform. If your exam is scheduled for one hour, it is useful to provide students with an earlier start time or later end time to allow for these steps to be completed.
- Webcam Check – Requires the student to check their webcam operation prior to being able to take the exam. (This setting cannot be changed)
- Additional Instructions – You can enter additional instructors that will be displayed.
- Guidelines + Tips – The system displays some helpful hints before starting the exam.
- Student Photo – Requires the student to take a photo using their webcam
- Show ID – Requires a student to take a picture of their ID. Many students are uneasy about providing state or federally issued ID pictures because of the additional private information that is included. To avoid this concern, students should be informed in advance that they should use their Rutgers ID if you choose to require the submission of an ID photo.
- Environment Check – The student will need to tilt/pan their webcam or laptop camera to show their working environment.
- Facial Detection Check – The system will verify that it is able to detect a face through the webcam.
- Prevent students from starting the exam if face cannot be detected during startup sequence. Keeping this feature enabled is recommended.
- Notify students during the exam if face cannot be detected. Keeping this feature is also enabled so students will be alerted if their face leaves the screen for any reason (e.g. camera is covered, student’s hair or clothing is obscuring their face).
- Click Preview to demo the student experience.
- Where appropriate, Edit Text to provide more guidance for your students.
- If your students need to use their microphone to submit audio responses, click Advanced Settings and check the box to Allow another application to use the microphone during this exam.
- Advanced Settings
- If students will be required to submit audio responses click the “Allow another application to use the microphone during the exam.” This option is rarely used but will allow a student to record if an audio response is needed during the exam.
- The “Make webcam videos additionally available for viewing on a mobile device” feature will reformat the video for use on a mobile device if the instructor would like to be able to review them on a tablet or phone.
- Click Save + Close.
- To verify Respondus Lockdown Browser and/or Monitor are enabled, you will see the following changes in your course:
- The Respondus Dashboard indicates if Lockdown Browser & Monitor is not required (a) or Lockdown Browser only and Monitor (b) are required or only Lockdown Browser (c) is required.
- Your Canvas Quiz name is changed to appended with “- Requires Respondus LockDown Browser” or “- Requires Respondus LockDown Browser + Webcam.” In this example, there is no name change (a) when Lockdown Browser is not required, Requires Respondus LockDown Browser + Webcam (b) is added with LockDown and Monitor enabled or Requires Respondus LockDown Browser (c) is added with only Lockdown Browser.
- Your Canvas quiz settings are updated to reflect your Lockdown Browser/Monitor settings. In this example, Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor (Web camera required) are required to take the assessment. Lockdown Browser is required to view the answers.