LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking quizzes in Canvas. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If a Canvas quiz requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser.
LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Canvas Quizzes. It should not be used in other areas of Canvas.
Installing LockDown Browser
If LockDown Browser has already been installed, skip to the next section. If not, LockDown Browser must be installed on each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take a test. You must have administrative rights to install applications in order to install Lockdown Browser.
- Navigate to the quiz that will be using the Lockdown Browser.
- Click on the quiz. You should see a hyperlink that says “Download Respondus Lockdown Browser.” Clicking this will bring you to the download page.
- Click the Install Now button to download a zip file (.zip).
- Open the downloads folder and run the file titled “Install Respondus Lockdown Browser.”
- Accept the terms, set the location where you want Respondus to be installed in your computer, and then complete the installation process.
Note: If you have an older version of the browser already installed you may need to uninstall it and install the latest version using the instructions above.
Taking a Quiz/Exam
- Close all programs currently running.
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. (For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging), choose Yes when prompted.
- In the Choose Server dialog box select Rutgers Canvas and click OK. This will take you to the Canvas login page where you can login and access your course.
- Navigate to the quiz and select the Take a Quiz link.
- Once a quiz has been started with LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit Answers button is clicked.
- After completing your quiz and clicking Submit Answers, close LockDown Browser and log back into you course using your preferred browser before doing any additional work in the course.
If you have problems downloading, installing, or taking a test with Respondus LockDown Browser, you may email the Canvas Help Desk or call 877-361-1134 available 24/7.