Kaltura Personal Capture (also referred to as Kaltura Capture) desktop recorder is a new application which enables easy video creation anywhere by anyone. It is currently available alongside Kaltura CaptureSpace and is slated to replace it in Summer 2019.
Kaltura Capture has a simple user interface, requiring only one click to record, without complex setup or a lengthy learning curve. Kaltura capture is supported both on Windows and Mac. You can record: two camera inputs at once, two screens, or a camera and a screen. Kaltura Personal Capture automatically uploads new videos into the Kaltura Mediaspace video portal or Kaltura integrations with Canvas. There is a 2-hour limit to capture recordings.
Kaltura Personal Capture includes:
- Screen and webcam capture in one click
- Automatic slide detection and creation of searchable chapters
- Support for software management install
- Seamless uploading to Learning and Content Management Systems and Kaltura MediaSpace
- Intuitive user interface
And much more.
- Login to your account Rutgers MediaSpace or go to the My Media tool in your Canvas Account.
- Click (1) Add New and select (2) Kaltura Personal Capture.
- Click the appropriate download link for your OS.
- Launch the installer and and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
Windows: Double click the downloaded .msi file to launch the installer (you may need administrative permissions for this).
OS X: Double click the .dmg to make its content available and drag the application from the .dmg window into /Applications to install (You may need an administrator password).
There are 2 ways that Kaltura Recorder can be launched.
- Click the icon on your computer to launch the app directly.
- Go to your account in Rutgers MediaSpace or to My Media in your Canvas Account, click Add New and select Kaltura Personal Capture as was done to install the app. When the app is already installed this choice will open a prompt asking if you would like to launch the program.
Depending on the browser, checking the box to Remember my choice… or Always use this app… will launch the app without the prompt in future attempts.
In the Kaltura Personal Capture Recorder, the default selection is the screen as the primary input and the camera as the secondary input. To record only one input, you must select the input and then turn off the secondary one.
Once launched The Kaltura Capture Recorder is displayed.
- The Record button will start a recording.
- The up or down arrows to the right of the computer and camcorder icons will toggle the preview window for its respective recording source.
- Clicking the computer, camcorder, or microphone icons toggles its respective recording option on or off. When the option is enabled the icon has a blue outline. When disabled the icon will be gray with a line through it.
- The up or down arrow next to the microphone icon allows you to select your audio source.
- The Preview Window displays an image of what will be recorded from that source. It also has options to select the source from a drop menu and if you want to record full screen or a specific area.
- Clicking the Manage link opens your recording Library and provides access to the Settings and Information about the Recorder.
Additional information on specific recording scenarios including presentations is available at Kaltura Personal Capture – Recording Options.
Once the record button is clicked, there will be a 5 second countdown before the recording begins and the recording controls will appear in the lower right of your screen. These controls are visible during recording by default but they can be hidden while recording.
- The Stop button stops your recording. Once clicked you will get a pop-up asking to confirm you wish to conclude your recording. Once concluded your Library will open.
- The Pause / Play button allows you to pause your recording. Clicking it again will resume the recording.
- The Cancel button will cancel your recording and nothing will be saved.
- The Timer indicates the length of your current recording.
- The Microphone icon can be toggled to enable or disable audio recording.
- The Screen Drawing toggle will toggle the screen drawing panel on or off.
- The Screen Drawing Panel provides access to tools for drawing on your screen as you are recording.
- The Minimize icon will minimize the recording controls to the taskbar in windows or the dock in OS X effectively hiding the controls during the recording. There are Keyboard Shortcuts you can use while the controls are minimized.
After you end your recording you will be directed to the entry page. If you clicked stop by mistake, you can always click Cancel and you will be returned to your recording in a paused state. If you want to complete the recording, enter the following information and click save:
- Title of the recording
- Click Save and upload or Save to save your recording.
When you save a recording without uploading it, the Management window opens with the Edit tab and displays the options to Upload or Delete your media. You can also select Delete all uploaded to delete all uploaded media files from your local storage to save disk space.
When uploading follow the onscreen prompts and the upload must complete before exiting the program.
The Management Window opens to your Library by default which contains your recordings and the following controls:
- The Library button can be used to access your video library
- The Settings button allows you to set default recording quality and whether or not the cursor is highlighted.
- The Information button includes details on player version and the account it is linked to.
- Clicking a video thumbnail will allow you to View your recordings
- The New Recording button will begin a new video recording.
- Kaltura Personal Capture – User Guide
- Kaltura Personal Capture Recording Options
- Kaltura Personal Capture – Recording PowerPoint Slides
- Kaltura Personal Capture Keyboard Shortcuts