There are three Kaltura integrations in Rutgers Canvas. Kaltura Browse-search-embed allows users to embed Kaltura media within native Canvas content that is created with the Rich Content Editor (RCE). The RCE is available for instructors in Classic Quizzes, Announcements, Pages, Assignments, Discussions, and Syllabus; for students, the RCE is available in Discussion responses, Assignment submissions, and tools in Group spaces such as group Pages, group Announcements, and group Discussions. Kaltura Media Gallery provides a central location for all media shared to a central repository (without context) in your course site. Kaltura in-video provides a quizzing overlay to your Kaltura media. This article provides directions to share your Kaltura media within the context of your course via Browse-Search-Embed.
- Log into Rutgers Canvas.
- Navigate to your Canvas course or group space.
- Create new (or edit existing) Canvas content:
- How do I submit an online assignment?
- How do I reply to a discussion as a student?
- How do I answer each type of question in a quiz?
- How do I edit a course page as a student?
- How do I add an announcement in a group?
- How do I create a new page in a group?
- How do I create a course discussion as a student?
- How do I create a discussion in a group?
- Using the Rich Context Editor, place your cursor in the place you would like to add your Kaltura media.
- Click Apps in the toolbar.
If your browser window is narrow, you may have to click on the More (1) icon (3 dots) to expand the toolbar then click Apps (2). Alternatively, you may use the RCE menu and click Tools > Apps > Embed Kaltura Media.
- A pop-up will appear. Scroll down (1) or search (2) for Embed Kalura Media. Click Embed Kaltura Media.
Once you use an external app located in the Apps menu, Embed Kaltura Media will appear as a shortcut in the dropdown (V) menu (1) to the right of Apps.
- In the Embed Kaltura Media pop-up, you may scroll down (1), search for (2) your video, or +add new video (3).
- To the right of your Kaltura media, you may click the Select button (1) to choose the medium-sized embed. To choose a different size, click on the dropdown (V) more menu (2) to select large and small sizes.
|Selected size||Dimension (px)|
|Large||608 x 402|
|Medium||400 x 285|
|Small||304 x 231|
- The pop-up window will close and Kaltura media selected will display in the Rich Content Editor.
- Add any additional text or content. Scroll down and click Save.
- Your selected Kaltura media will be displayed as part of the Canvas content you created.
It is recommended that Canvas tools (Pages, Quizzes, Assignments, and Discussions) are hidden in the course navigation and content items are added to modules.